8:00 p.m. update

So I’ve been in labor now for twelve hours and on my epidural for three. Yup, I broke down and got the epi. There really wasn’t any other option because truly, Pitocin is the devil. Pitocin contractions aren’t natural and there was just no way to handle them naturally.

The other contributing factor was that we found the only way I could labor was standing up. No amount of sitting down, laying down, bending or sitting on my bouncy ball made the contractions in any way bearable.

I was told (because I wasn’t really in the right frame of mind to keep track) that I was on my feet for close to five hours – I was so exhausted that I was almost falling asleep standing up between contractions. The other disheartening part was that in the eight hours I was on Pitocin with no drugs, I only dilated .5 cm. That’s right 0.5 – not 5.0 cm. And minimally more effaced. That was so discouraging.

So between not being able to do anything other than stand up and not making any progress and being in unholy pain – the choice to get an epi was easy.

My doctor is over at his other hospital and will come by to tuck me in in about an hour or so. We’ll have another progress report by then. If baby and I are still holding steady, they’ll let me labor through the night and we’ll see what the morning holds!

This entry was posted in babies. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to 8:00 p.m. update

1. lafletcher80 says:

Kat – just wanted to let you know that I’ve been thinking about you all day! I know that it wasn’t necessarily what you wanted, but yay for the epidural helping!

Many hugs and “hurry up Poppy” wishes sent your way!

2. Jill says:

Glad to hear the epi is helping you. Hopefully Poppy will make her appearance soon. I hope you’re able to get some rest throughout the night. Thanks for keeping us updated! Good luck!

3. amy says:

Kat, OMG! I just hopped on here for like the fifth time since your 1pm update… and after a few minutes I clicked “refresh” and this new entry popped up! Thank goodness, I was starting to worry! Sounds like baby girl is determined to make quite an entrance… and your blog-reading audience will all be eagerly waiting. Thanks for the update, and keep kicking butt! 🙂

4. "Margie" from MDC says:

I’ve been stalking your blog all day…..praying for a peaceful birth for you soon! Stay strong mama!

5. Lindsey says:

Hang in there, Kat! You can do it! I hope she makes up her mind to come out soon, stubborn little girl.

6. Jen says:

You are doing great, Kat – hang in there, you will have Poppy in your arms before you know it!