Pregnancy Journal – Week Nine

9 weeks

Nine weeks today Poppy! I know you’re growing strong and big in there – so just keep it up, okay? We can’t wait to see you in two more days – I just keep imagining how cool it’s going to be to see you looking like an actual little baby! A real baby without a tail! Although I think your tail is very lovely, I’m excited to see it replaced by legs and arms ๐Ÿ™‚

I needed a break from the house today and a way to pass some time. The weekends are always kind of hard – especially when we have an ultrasound at the first of the week. Josh when to work out this morning, and even though I wasn’t feeling well, when he came home I headed up to the bookstore. It was an icky day today – full of rain and showers, so it was nice to just get a drink and a cookie and hang out. I ended up spending like three hours or so there!

I found a really good book – The Panic-Free Pregnancy. I liked it a lot more than Fearless Pregnancy. The book was written by an O.B. but he is in favor of midwife care, herbs, and acupuncture. The only thing that I didn’t like was his attitude about miscarriage. He said a good way to prevent it is to just not test until you’re two weeks late. Yeah right! He’s of the opinion that miscarriages can’t be prevented, so why worry about them. I hate that attitude. He also says its okay to eat sushi – which made me happy. The two dangers of sushi are parasites or Hep A. I’m vaccinated against Hep A and parasites only make you sick, not the baby.

So we had sushi tonight ๐Ÿ™‚ Yummy! I only ate a few fishie ones, I didn’t want to press my luck. I stuck with the vegetable rolls – which were good too.

9 weeks, 1 day

9 weeks, 2 days

Oh Poppy – today was such an amazing day! We got to see you again! And guess what? You had little arms and legs and you moved! You MOVED! You were moving all over the place actually! It was the most amazing and beautiful sight – I’ve never seen anything so gorgeous in my life. You are the most beautiful little baby in the world and we love you so, so much.

We had our second “regular” appointment today – and this time, we just saw the nurse practitioner, not Dr. Z. That’s okay by me – I really like Sarah. She took a lot of medical history and I was so impatient, all I wanted was just to see if the baby was okay. So finally we got to the ultrasound, and right away, we saw Poppy. And a great heart beat too! Although I was scared for a second – before, the heartbeat was just a black space that would contract and expand. This time, since the heart is going into the chest cavity and Poppy had grown, so it was just a different black and white area pulsating. It was kind of hard to see at first – almost like watching snow on a TV set.

So then she started moving the wand around to get a look at everything else and to make sure there was still only one. When she moved back to Poppy, she was like, whoa, did you see that? And we were like, wow, is she moving? And sure enough, Poppy started moving all over the place. It was amazing! Every time I would laugh, you could see my uterus move, Poppy would get shaken and kind of swim to re-balance herself. Sarah was great and we all watched the baby move for probably three or four minutes. I said that it looked like she was moving her hand toward her head, almost like she was trying to suck her thumb. After watching her do it for a few moments, Sarah agreed. Her little legs and feet were just going all over the place too – a couple of times I think she even made contact with my uterus – which would definitely explain why I’ve been feeling all these growing pains!

Unfortunately, my next appointment isn’t for a month. Sarah did say if I needed reassurance or had any questions, to call at any time. Fortunately, the NT scan should be scheduled halfway between now and then, so if insurance will cover it, we won’t have to wait a whole month to see Poppy again.

Half of the fun today was in seeing how proud Josh is of his baby. He hasn’t really wanted to take any of the pictures to work yet, but today he asked for one of them and the “under construction” ultrasound frame for his desk. I love that. I can’t wait to see him as a father.

If I get this emotional and excited and have this much amazement at seeing this little baby who is only an inch big have these jerky movements, I can’t imagine the overwhelming feelings that are still to come!

Oh, and I got the go ahead to go on and do some unisom/b6 for the nausea. She said she could give me a prescription, but I don’t want to do that. I don’t think I need to take that step yet.

9 weeks, 3 days

So I went on and scheduled our NT scan today. It was kind of a involved process, but just because I wanted to make sure the scan and blood work were covered by insurance. I know insurance is sometimes a pain to deal with (it especially was after our miscarriage) but this is the second time I’ve had to call them, and when I finally get someone on the phone, they’ve been super nice and helpful. So I gave them the billing codes the screening place gave me, and everything is covered, which is great.

Our scan isn’t as soon as I had hoped – it’s scheduled for Monday, March 11 and I was hoping for something the week before. I might try calling later on and asking if they can move us up to the previous Thursday or Friday. It would be really nice to not have to go three weeks without seeing the baby.

I’m pretty nervous about the scan – not because we’re at risk or anything, but just because of the relatively high false positive rate. We know no matter what the results say, there’s no way we’re going to do an amnio. I simply couldn’t live with myself if we did an amnio and something happened, that’s an unacceptable risk for us to take. So worst case scenario is just living with questionable results until delivery. I’d rather live with that anxiety than take a risk – no matter how small – that I could cause a miscarriage.

9 weeks, 4 days

9 weeks, 5 days

I had my stupid thyroid appointment today. This makes me so mad I don’t want to even write about it. They did all that blood work at my six week appointment. When I went in for my seven week, I asked if they had the results yet, and the nurse who was looking in my chart said something about it not being in the right spot, blah blah blah, so she’d call me back. She never did. Two days later, I called and left a message for Angie. She just called me last week with an excuse for why she was delayed in calling me blah blah blah. Everything was pretty okay – but I’m not immune to toxoplasmosis, so I have to be really careful around Thomas.

The crap of the call was that apparently my TSH levels were high. A quick google search had me scared to freaking death. Luckily, Harmony has been through the same thing, so she referred me to her doctor and he fit me in this week.

In the office they did some blood work – my blood sugar and cholesterol – both of which were great. They drew four or five vials of blood to send off to the lab for my complete thyroid workup.

Dr. Orzeck went on and put me on thyroid medication – just a guesstimate at the dosage – and I go back in three weeks for another check.

I’m so not happy about this – this means visits every three weeks through out this pregnancy and being on medication for the rest of my life. That’s a really depressing thought.

So the NT scan on March 11, thyroid visit on March 14, regular OB checkup on March 17th. I told Josh it’s a good thing I don’t work – since it appears I’ll be spending a good deal of time at doctor appointments!

9 weeks, 6 days

So I’ve been running a unisom experiment on myself this week. Monday night, I took a full tab. Slept the whole night through, waking only once to pee, and didn’t puke Tuesday morning. I even ate breakfast! It was really hard to wake up though. Tuesday night, took half a tab. Slept really well, but puked water in the morning. Ate a real breakfast after that anyway. Wednesday night, took a whole one, mainly to help with sleep because I knew I’d be anxious about my thyroid appointment. Slept well, no puking, ate breakfast yesterday. I should also say that I didn’t take any naps this week either So last night, I didn’t take anything at all and spent this morning after taking Josh to work bent over the sink for about fifteen minutes until I puked up everything I had and some things I didn’t know I had. So I took a half a unisom, ate breakfast, then slept from about ten to one. I woke up once and that was it. I was out cold. I’m not sure if it had to do with the unisom or not napping this week, or whatever, but I was out. I don’t know what I’ll do this weekend. It’s been nice to get some solid sleep and not puke, but at the same time, taking sleeping medicine every night seems to be a bit weird. It’s a trade off I guess.

One Response to Pregnancy Journal – Week Nine

  1. Libbie says:

    I’m thinking of you and Josh all the time. You doing great!So proud of you both. Love you ,Libbie

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s